Vacancy - Somalia Security Coordinator - Kenya/Somalia
07/01/09 19:25 Filed in: Security Jobs
SPAS Somalia Safety Coordinator (2 POSITIONS)- Job Ref: SOM/EX0067
CARE Somalia/South Sudan is an International NGO working in Somalia and South Sudan. CARE and its partners work with vulnerable communities to address the underlying causes of poverty and promote peace and development, through its strategic goal to reduce poverty by empowering women, enhancing access to resources and services, and improving governance.
CARE is looking for suitable candidates to fill the two positions of Somalia Safety Coordinator (SSC) for the Northern and Southern Somalia region for its NGO Security Preparedness and Support (NGO-SPAS) Program. These positions will oversee security report writing, liaisons with appropriate authorities, NGO project facilitation through the provision of security related advice, NGO safety/ security development, and any other tasked deemed relevant with a safety and security context..
Reporting to the Operations Coordinator (OP), the Somalia Safety Coordinators will manage field staff in multiple locations within Somalia and Kenya; collect and analyze a wide range of security information on Somalia as well as provide security advice and updates to NGO Consortium members and other humanitarian actors within the Somalia context.
The incumbent of this position will also Provide CARE, NGO Consortium members and non consortium NGOs with travel-related security advice, generate both periodical as well as ad hoc reports and present security briefings to the aid community at regular intervals
The SSC will carry out regular site visits and assessments on request from NGOs and other international actors as appropriate, advise, organize and facilitate staff relocations and or evacuations in emergency situations and or staff in critical medical conditions, monitor
daily media from Somalia, Somaiiland, Puntland and international media in order to obtain security related information; translate and distribute as required.
H/She will also liaise as directed with members of the NGO Consortium, government officials and all other relevant leaders and stakeholders in Somalia, Somaliland and Puntland in order to exchange security related information
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to clearly convey information;
* Strategic decision making abilities with strong political acumen
* Team player;
* Strong planning, organizing and coordinating abilities;
* Good analytical skills;
* Proactive, innovative and able to initiate action
* Required skills and qualifications
* Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field. Training in security management and or previous experience as a journalist would be an added advantage;
* 3 years of experience in a Security management, project management and or journalistic environment;
* Good investigative and reporting skills;
* Good understanding of Somalia environment;
* Fluency in written and spoken English and Somali languages;
* Ability to work with limited supervision;
* Ability to establish trends and make projections and posses high investigative skills
This position is based in the Nairobi office with 40% travel to the field offices. Closing date for applications is: 21st January 2009.
The shortlisted candidates will be contacted by: 4th February 2009
Applications/CV with daytime telephone contacts and three referees should be sent to:
The Human Resources Officer
CARE Somalia/South Sudan
P.O. Box 2039, 00202 Nairobi
Email: hr @ ci.or.ke
CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer, promoting gender, equity and diversity and women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply!